D.Va, real name Hana Song, is a playable tank hero in Overwatch. She was revealed in at Blizzcon 2015, along with Mei and Genji. D.Va is one of the most popular characters in Overwatch, ranking high in popularity lists and being consistently played in all ranks of competitive.
Hana's interest in gaming was introduced to her at a young age by her father, as they would play classic games such as StarCraft. Hana also had a friend Dae-hyung. They would often stay up late working on a hoverbike together. Hana would later win a race with this bike, although it nearly costed her life. Later, Hana would become a professional gamer, and begin going by the name D.Va. She would later win a Mecha Guardian V championship, surpassing both her teammate Yuna Lee and rival Kyung-soo.
In South Korea, the Mobile Exo-Force of the Korean Army (MEKA) was struggling to defend the country agains the Gwishin omnics. The Gwishin were highly adaptable, and would eventually adapt to disrupt the government's drone network, forcing them to use human pilots to control the mechs. D.Va, as well Kyunga-soo and Yuna, were drafted due to their skills in video games that played much like the mechs were piloted. D.Va willingly accepted this challenge viewing it as another game. This is where D.Va got her iconic mech, named Tokki.
|Overwatch||May 24, 2016||Multiple|
|StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty*||November 4, 2016||PC|
|Heroes of the Storm*||May 16, 2017||PC|
- Added after the game initially released
Non-Video Game AppearancesEdit
|Shooting Star||August 22, 2018||Animated Short|
- In Heroes of the Storm, D.Va has a skin that references Asuka Langley-Soryu from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- ↑ Yannick, LeJacq (November 11, 2015). Overwatch’s New Mech Warrior ‘D. Va’ Is A Total Badass. Kotaku. “Shortly after Blizzcon 2015 ended, Blizzard added three playable characters to its excellent new shooter Overwatch. Most of the hype is centered around the pro gamer-turned-mech pilot “D. Va,” which makes sense, since she fights with a gigantic friggin’ mech that’s bright pink. Awesome.”
- ↑ Knoop, Joseph (July 17, 2018). Every Overwatch character, ranked. The Daily Dot. “1. D.va”
- ↑ Ziebart, Alex (March 6, 2018). These are the most-played Overwatch heroes at every tier. Blizzard Watch.
- ↑ Dai, Ben (August 22, 2018). Overwatch Animated Short. YouTube.
- ↑ Rodriguez, Veronika (August 22, 2018). Overwatch Lead Writer Michael Chu Reveals Name of D.Va Mech. DBLTAP. “According to Chu, D.Va's mech is called Tokki, a romanization of the Korean word for bunny. Because of the design of her mech, and the bunny seen in D.Va's logo and other parts of her design, the name fits her mech perfectly.”
- ↑ Frank, Allegra (May 10, 2017). Heroes of the Storm skins reveal a love for classic anime. Polygon. “Among the skins available for her is “Fiery D.Va,” whose color palette bears more than a passing resemblance to Neon Genesis Evangelion hero Asuka Langley-Soryu.”