Frogger is the titular character of the Frogger series of games, making his debut in the 1981 arcade game Frogger, in which he is among the frogs the player must direct across the street. At one point the best selling game of all time, Frogger and his game have been cemented into modern pop culture, with numerous references and appearances throughout the years.
Due to multiple reboots, Frogger's story variers wildly.
In the original game, as well as the subsequent sequels and ports, Frogger's main goal was to cross the street in order to get home. In Frogger: The Great Quest, Frogger goes on a journey across the kindgom to find a princess.
In the Frogger's Adventures series of games, Frogger is the defender of Firefly Swamp.
For a list of all of Frogger's video game appearances, see Frogger/Appearances.
Non-Video Game Appearances
|Saturday Supercade: Frogger||September 17, 1983||Cartoon|
|Wreck-It Ralph||October 29, 2012||Movie|
|Pixels||July 24, 2015||Movie|
- The original Frogger arcade game played a pivotal plotpoint in the Seinfeld episode The Frogger.
- Contributors, Wikipedia (April 28, 2020). Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue. Wikipedia. “A young Frog named Frogger is relaxing inside his home in Firefly Swamp when a spaceship crashes in his yard”
- Editors, IMDb. Frogger: Ancient Shadow. IMDb.
- McCrea, Nick (February 21, 2015). Retired developer who created ‘NHL ‘94’ video game in Maine barn reflects on career. Bangor Daily News. “About 1980, Lesser started working with Parker Brothers, where he developed “Frogger II” for the Atari 2600.”
- Zentler, Riordan (April 16, 2020). From ‘Frogger’ to ‘Minecraft’: Leaping from one bestseller to the next. The Spokesman-Review. “From 1989-1991, the bestselling game was “Frogger.””
- Wade, Lizzie (November 14, 2012). Storyboard: How Rich Moore Assembled Wreck-It Ralph’s All-Star Cast of Game Characters. WIRED. “So he set out to convince megastudios like Sega and Namco to let their most beloved characters — including Frogger, Pac-Man, Bowser and Sonic — appear in the Disney film.”
- The Philippine Star (July 23, 2014). Classic video game characters unite via film 'Pixels'. Philstar. “Sony Pictures Entertainment announced today that the studio has brought together an extraordinary number of iconic video game companies, whose classic characters – including PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, Centipede®, Galaga, Frogger, Q*bert, and Space Invaders – will be featured in the highly-anticipated action comedy “Pixels.””
- Domain, Master Of This. THE FROGGER. Maps About Nothing. “George concocts a grand scheme to maintain his high score on an old Frogger video game machine. Elaine eats antique cake at Peterman’s. Kramer nabs some caution tape from the police station, where he hears of a neighborhood serial killer. Jerry dates a sentence finisher.”